Sunday, September 13, 2009

A Shocking Turn of Events

In the mean time I was working for Ben exercising his horses and going to all of his polo matches, two per week. Every Wednesday and Sunday we would go out to the various polo venues and Ben ahd his partner Liam would play polo. It was very exciting and I was loving it. I groomed the horses, helped to load them onto the trailer and generally was an assistant to Rhonda, his barn manager. When ever she needed a day off I was there helping to feed the horses, turning them out and cleaning their stalls. I was learning how to care for a whole barn full of horses. I was really an apprentice, in exchange for nearly free board for Desi.

The life I was leading that summer was like a dream for me. I felt so lucky to be a part of the world of horses. Desi was coming along nicely and he was getting more fit since he was being ponied on a regular basis. Rhonda and I had decided that we would forego riding him until next spring. Maybe the time off would do him some good. I didn't want my weight to hurt his back, after all he was only two years old.

My schedule and work load at the barn was fairly intense and a bit tiring. One night I begged off from grooming the horses at one of the matches. I helped Rhonda get all of the horses ready, groomed and loaded onto the trailer and I headed for home for a quiet evening of rest.

At 5AM the next morning the phone rang. This was very early for a call, I thought. "Hello?"
"Uh, hello, Marilyn?"
"Yes..."
"This is Rhonda..."
"Yes, I recognize your voice, what's the matter? You sound very different."
"Well, Ben...(long pause)... he died last night." She sounded so upset, her voice was choking. It must have been a very long night for her.
"What? That's impossible, you must be joking."
"No, it's true."
"How did it happen?"
Rhonda explained "He was riding in the match and must have had a heart attack while he was on his horse. He leaned over and everyone thought he was just fixing his girth or making a tack adjustment or something. But he didn't sit back up. When they realized he was taking quite a long time, they went over to him, and he was already gone."
"Just like that, so quick?" I couldn't believe my ears.
"Yes, it was unbelievable"
"Oh, how terrible. I can't believe it."
"Yes, everyone at the match was so upset," said Rhonda.
"It's just so hard to believe. He was fine yesterday and now...gone. I can't believe it."
"Yes, but you know that's how he would have wanted it, he died on his horse with his boots on."
"I know, I know. If he had planned it that's what he would have wanted. It's so difficult to believe he's actually gone. What's going to happen to his horses, the barn and Liam, his partner?"
"I don't know but I suppose Liam will take over the barn and probably buy his horses, but I'm not sure."
Ben had greatly affected my life and now that he was gone I felt quite uncertain about the future with Desi. I hung up the phone and contemplated the influence that he had had on my life. I knew things would never be the same.