Friday, September 11, 2009

How Far Would a Dollar Go?

This turn of events really upset Pete. He knew the winter was coming and that he couldn't keep all of his horses. He had really counted on the sale of Desi not only to make ends meet but to alleviate the burden of so many unproductive horses and the work that they entailed. Now the reality of Desi being nearly unsalable also struck home. Pete looked totally dejected. He looked the way I felt.

We started to leave.

"Wait. Will you take him for a dollar?" He was desperate, but he had to sell some of his horses or they would all suffer.

"A dollar?" I was incredulous. "A dollar?" I repeated, just to be sure I heard him right. I looked at Rhonda and saw a little smirk. Then she gave me the nod which said go ahead, for a dollar we could deal with a little roaring.

I turned to Pete and said, "No, I can't take him for a dollar, but how about if you keep the deposit that I gave you and we will have a deal?"

He looked so relieved. Here was a small time breeder who really only wanted his horses to go to good homes. He barely broke even each year, but his was a lifestlye that he loved, so he kept at it. The money had never been the issue with him. He obviously put more into the horse than I had given him but he was very happy knowing his horse Desi would have a good and permanent home. I promised to keep in touch with him and told him he could even come for a visit if he wanted. It was a deal. Smiles all around. I was ecstatic. I just bought my first horse, "Faith in Destiny", his was a name to live by.