Tuesday, September 1, 2009

After the fall (from grace)

My life somehow progressed forward without horses for awhile. I was a freshman in college away from home with plenty of distractions. And unfortunately horses wasn't one of them.

But then I discovered that I could earn college credits for learning how to ride. At the University of Massachusetts someone had actually thought that riding horses was worthy of being labeled a sport and considered exercise (which actually would burn calories), and included it in the curriculum for physical education. Just think of that! Needless to say I immediately signed up for 2 college physical education credits in the fine equestrian art. My future was sealed, I would learn how to ride.

These riding gym classes and 2 college credits which I earned were later to give me the impression that I really did indeed know how to ride (back to the unconscious incompetent person that I really was) when more than 30 years later, a running buddy of mine called and asked did I know how to ride. The answer was a resounding yes!!

She had a friend who owned a string of polo ponies who needed exercise riders. Would I like to join her and help to ride them? This was definitely too good to be true. You can only imagine how high I jumped at that chance to ride again.